Sunday, August 28, 2011

Boundaries with Kids by Drs. Henry Cloud and John Townsend

I get that being a teacher doesn't make me an expert on parenthood or child-rearing, BUT I do get to spend at least ten hours a day with other people's children which gives me the chance to know what sort of parents I want to mimick and which parenting styles we want to avoid like the plague. As we prepare for our first little one, we are reading like crazy so that our kid is never "that kid." I'm not sure this is a totally preventable thing, but we can try.

Anyway, Boundaries with Kids has to be the best single read on coaching (read: parenting, teaching, growing,influencing) healthy respectful children. Everyone who interacts with kiddos in any way should read this. The number one take away that everyone should understand is that as adults, we can empathize with the struggles kids go through but we must interact with them in a way to prepare them for a successful future.

Evidently there are a number of Boundaries books out there. I'm guessing that they are all worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment